Thursday, July 12, 2018

Action Items from July Board Meeting

Action Items from July Board Meeting

JULY 2018 BOARD MEETING

AMAA Board Meeting, July 9, 2018


Attendance:

Danny Bacci, Kathleen Fortune, Lisa Scotti, John Fratangelo, Colleen Wong, Licet Gaveau, Ileana Villa, Manny Miranda, Eric Keilbach, John Saffian, Robert Panepinto, Kelley Bacci, Elba Rosales-Rice

Danny begins the meeting with a prayer, followed by an introduction.  All in attendance provided a brief introduction.  Danny shares his vision and focus for the board, parents and participants.  Create a balance and focus on all parts of growth.  It is not about winning games. 

AMAA struggled to stay active a few years back, but thanks to individuals who stepped up, it has grown. Now is our chance to keep it going and improve.

Organizational Structure

New structure is broken down by Departments, overseen by the President, except the Financial Department that will be overseen by the Vice President.  The following Departments will be overseen by the President:  Athletics, Enrichment, Member Relations, Record keeping/Communications.  
New structure will be updated on the website by July 31.

Closing 2017/2018

Licet will work with Kathleen on gathering all information related to families with balances, uniform deposit refunds, grants, and balancing the books before September 5, 2018.
Permits must be applied for in August.

Soccer

Would like to do something related to the World Cup.  
A World Cup game will be generated where participants can predict the outcome of them game, by playing along.  Danny will come up with the questions. Elba will generate the entry form.  The winner will win Tickets to NY Soccer Club game (see Licet for prize tickets)

Regarding soccer teams: Ari's team is folding.  Parents with kids switching from Elementary to Middle School are hesitant on signing kids in sports until they are comfortable with Middle School activities and impact of extra curricular activities, like sports.

St. Anastasias has reached out to AMAA to recruit girls for their soccer team.  It may be beneficial to offer any girl from Coach Ari's team who would like to continue to play.

A potential clinic can be done in August with DJ's team.

Registration

So far 65 registered.  Similar to last year, most are returning families.

Volunteers at Venues

It is increasingly difficult to get individuals to volunteer.  
A fee charged for non-volunteerism has been proposed, but not implemented.
Various volunteers are needed at Basketball games, for score book, score board, concessions, admissions. Can we ask other American Martyrs groups for assistance? (Knights, Columbiettes, Kids who need to do service hours for their confirmation)
A nomination to do away with concessions and just have water on hand at games was proposed.  Colleen Wong second, however all in attendance agreed.  Coaches are to advise parents that concessions will no longer be sold at games due to lack of volunteers.

Website

Elba & Kathleen keep the website updated.
Kathleen updates the Game Schedules, Elba keeps everything else updated. 
Game Highlights - an email will be provided to coaches up provide Highlights for the games.  Highlights will be reviewed prior to Publishing on the Highlights page. Photos can also be included in these posts.  Instructions will be provided by July 31, 2018
Elba needs to have the Game schedules in an spreadsheet in order to update to the Google Calendar.
Elba and Kathleen to work on migrating the game schedule from GoDaddy's table format to an embedded spreadsheet. Due August 31, 2018

Calendar

  • Danny would like to see the AMAA calendar updated with all American Martyrs events. 
  • Colleen will reach out to Pat and obtain the Calendar of recurring events. 
  • On the first day of CCD it would be beneficial to have a Registration person present to distribute flyers or register new participants.
  • Schedule a board meeting monthly - to be held the 2nd Monday of every month.  Preliminary meeting date: Aug. 6 pending.
Open Calendar Items:
August: 
Soccer for kids born 2009/2010
Public Schools, other schools in the area entered on our calendar
September: 
Car wash (?) - done a few years back and a good fundraising event
CCD/Religious Ed begins


Votes/Decisions made:

1) the proposed new organization structure was approved
2) it was decided that water would be the only concession sold at basketball games this year
3) we will have monthly Board meetings, every 2nd Monday in the Murray Center for now

Note -  we spent a lot of time discussing and brainstorming how to handle adult volunteers but no decision was made


Friday, March 16, 2018

JANUARY 2018

AMAA Board Meeting, January 31, 2018

Attendance: Tim Rice, Kathleen Fortune, Chiyo Jikko, DJ Madrazo, Danny Bacci, Erik Keilbach, Terri Shoule, Fred Ma, Licet Gaveau

Tim started the meeting thanking all in attendance.

Virtus Discussion/Club President Remarks : 

Starting topic: Virtus/ child protection: a reminder to reinforce protection of our kids. As coaches, parents administrators representatives of the program, we need to keep in mind the safety of our kids and report any misconduct.
Who keeps the Virtus List? CYO and we keep a list. If we need to verify, we can reach out to CYO or the Brooklyn Diocese. The Diocese runs a check on a yearly basis of all the names on the list.

Sports recaps:

It has been a good first half of the year. some success and some not. For example the PS 205 facility issues.  Erik- Basketball A.D: Has been a successful season overall. Most of the girls are coming back next year, except the 8th graders as they are graduating. Planning on continuing with a 7/8th grade team for next year. Not happy with CYOs location based team matching. Overall the girls have improved throughout the year. Already planning on setting up scrimmages for next year. Robert's team has a winning record. DJ's girls team who've never played have come a long way, great improvements and have lost only one game! AMAA kids participated in the Howard Beach Tournament: 12 kids, 4 games played. All the boys basketball teams are doing well.

Cheer: Terri has about 20 girls in the cheer squad. Has a cheer meeting scheduled for next week.
The Cheer Show Case dates are changing to a different date in April. Terri may not be available to attend, but will have the Assistant Coach take over. Coach Terri is concerned parents and girls are not showing interest, making practice and performance difficult.

Volleyball: Season started a few weeks ago, 7 teams. PS191 secured for home games, equipment available for usage. Permits at PS 33 extended, however not ideal for Volleyball or Basketball. Looking to secure Thursday nights for practice at Martin Van Buren. There is a large group of new girls in the program, with some of them registering for additional sports as they are enjoying the program.

Moving some 7th graders to 6th grade teams, receiving resistance. Snows has sent over extra girls to AMAA, as late additions, and trying not to turn anyone away. The 8th grade team has some returning girls and new girls combination.

Danny comments on how great is it to see coaches utilize all their balls during practice. Emphasizes aggressive teaching and encourages teaching girls the overhand serve, that will benefit them as they progress.

Swimming: Started two weeks ago. Girsl won both meets. We have a good team.
An issue has arisen, as kids from Martyrs parish are not registered with us for swimming, but registering with Our Lady of Lourdes because of a cheaper pricing. AMAA: $170 vs Lourdes: $150 one sport price. Kathleen proposes matching price to $150 for Swim. Unanimous agreement on all present.

Flag Football: Possible new A.D. Phil O. Would be a great addition as a coach.
Danny B. would prefer not to coach. So far every team has 8-10 kids registered. 7 kids needed to make a team. Kats suggestion is for Dave R as coach for older team and Phil O. for Bantam.

Baseball: There are enough kids registered to make a team. Joe McM. is interested in coaching a team. The younger kids may be considered to enter the LND program instead so they can begin playing on a T. Permits must be worked on, available online.

Softball: 3 teams 6/7 grade, 5 and 4th grade. In between aged girls can move to the ‘middle’ group.

Track: same kids registered for spring. Starts in April for about 5 weeks.

Facilities & Permits: 

Struggling to keep volleyball with enough gym time. We have gym time, but facilities becoming unavailable at the last minute. PS191 has available gym time and is a nice gym. It is still a struggle because we do not have a reliable practice facility.
Also, trying to track down equipment at PS133 used last year.
Will be ok now that basketball practice is ending but will have enough gym time.
PS188 is supposedly open for Presidents week break for possible use. Can be used for additional basketball time. Erik will find out what times are available. Tim likes the idea, but it may not be beneficial since a lot of families go away that week.

Fundraising

Note from Narisha with updates indicate that the Grant paperwork submitted is all wrong and needs to be redone. Still waiting for return paperwork to arrive at the rectory. This will delay the funds from the grant.
Kathleen adds that the Josephine Foundation will double this year.
Upcoming efforts include Modells Discount coupon and the upcoming Date Night.

Financials: 

We are still in the black $4700 surplus, however revenue is lower than last year.
Kathleen adds that there are a lot of families who still have not paid their registration. We need to get the funds collected from these families, send out a reminder to them.
There is enough in the bank to get bills paid. But will need to make equipment purchases, and pay referees. Fundraising efforts are also lower than last year.
Note: Uniform deposit funds not taking into account as part of revenue.

Uniforms/Equipment

Need to spend more money refreshing baseball and softball equipment, helmets catching gear. a little more than last year. Chiyo/Hector doing an amazing job with uniforms.
People initial to sign out uniform, must initial to sign in and receive deposit back.
This weekend begins distribution of volleyball uniforms. Concerns of less uniforms being returned, same uniform is used for two different sports, and returns are less than what we should have in inventory. Chiyo indicates that no soccer uniforms have been returned.

New Business/Old Business: 

Sunday is the Catholic War Veterans Troop Drive. An email will be sent out with information on how AMAA families can donate. Saturday is opening day for Volleyball, email will include a note to bring items for troop drive donation.

Was Ed officially assigned the Volunteer Coordinator position? Tim informs that Ed stepped down and no one else has taken the position.

2018-2019 Board Appointments/Volunteer Planning

All elective positions are available for next year. 
Tim (President) and Kathleen (P.A.R.) will step down from the current positions at the end of the year. However, Kathleen would consider a Co-PAR position with someone willing. She is willing to stay on as coach for 7th grade girls.

Meeting adjourned at 8:13pm

Sunday, February 4, 2018

AUGUST 2017 MEETING

In Attendance

Tim Rice, Kathleen Fortune, Fred Ma, Danny Bacci, Chiyo Fortuna, Eric Keilbach. Nerisha & Daniel Madrazo, Elba Rosales-Rice, Robert Panepinto, Jacquie Saavedra, Licet Gaveau
  

August 24, 2017- 7:10 pm - Meeting called to order by Tim Rice  


Meeting started with an opening prayer.

June 29th Meeting Minutes Review
Registration fees redefined with minor changes to pricing.
Volunteer hours/Opt-out fees tabled for now.  Will be revisited in the future.
We will continue to charge Uniform fee.

President's Report
Reminder that we are a Catholic Child Focus programs, objective to teach athletics, learned in a way that all kids benefit, equal play time.  
Licet Gaveau complimented on her hard work in handling the $8,000 grant from the City. This grant goes a long way to securing gyms and expenses. 

P.A.R. Report

Financial Report
Reviewed final numbers at the end of the season as discussed at the last meeting.

Questions & Comments

Next Meeting Dates


    Meeting adjourned at 9:11 p.m.

    Thursday, August 24, 2017

    JUNE 2017 MEETING

    In Attendance

    Tim Rice, Kathleen Fortune, Fred Ma, Danny Bacci, Chiyo & Hector Fortuna, Ed Pearce, Terri Shoule, Eric Keilbach. Nerisha Madrazo, Kevin Huang, Michael Shoule, Elba Rosales-Rice, Robert Panepinto  

    June 29, 2017 - 7:00 pm - Meeting called to order by Tim Rice